To be admitted to Nature's hearth costs nothing. None is excluded, but excludes himself.
You have only to push aside the curtain - Henry David Thoreau
........

The only limits we have are those we give ourselves.

........

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Memories of Africa...

When I was in grade three, we had a class field trip to African Lion Safari - basically a drive-thru zoo located a short bus-ride away. I have some reservations about animals in captivity now, but I do know that the field trip sparked something in me. To see these animals so close - a school bus window separated us - was so cool. Whether it was the silly antics of the monkeys or the majestic look of the lions, I'm not sure...but I remember the trip well and have always longed to see more.

We didn't have the plethora of TV channels to watch as a kid that are available now, but when Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom came on, I was easily hooked. I found it so fascinating that Marlin Perkins and Jim were able to actually touch many of the animals, but still showed the respect that these creatures deserved. Wow...wouldn't it be cool to see all these animals in their own environment just like we saw on television. ( A little Wild Kingdom nostalgia )

Shortly after Mark & I were married, we talked about places we would like to go and things we would like to do. Not surprising to either of us, we both wanted to go to Africa one day and the trip would need to include a safari.

Remember that song "Africa" by Toto done in the early 80's?

part of the chorus:

I bless the rains down in Africa

Gonna take some time to do the things we never had

So, here we are, many years after we shared our dreams of travel and we're finally taking some time to do the things we never had. How cool is that?

No comments: