To be admitted to Nature's hearth costs nothing. None is excluded, but excludes himself.
You have only to push aside the curtain - Henry David Thoreau
........

The only limits we have are those we give ourselves.

........

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

A ‘rest stop’ worth exploring

I was reading a guest post by Joshua Becker this morning on the ZenHabits blog entitled “The Lost Practice of Resting One Day Each Week”.  It’s not surprising that hectic lifestyles are making us more stressed and subsequently, less healthy.  Are we achieving the work-life balance that many of us crave?  Are we missing opportunities that we might later regret?

So, today…or at least this morning, I took a break from my usual routine.  With a snack and my camera in my backpack, I went for a walk along the lake front.  This is an area that I have ‘run through’ on many occasions, but rarely do I take time and actually stop, listen, observe, and appreciate the surroundings.

Art, architecture, history, and nature – all plentiful when you transform your pathway into a rest stop. 

IMG_1841  IMG_1842

 IMG_1844 IMG_1845

Carvings by local artist Jim Menken (www.jimmenken.com), someone who changed professions to followed his passion.

IMG_1838 IMG_1839 

Adamson Estate

Little did I know that just a few feet away from the path I had often run, there was a pet cemetery.  Stone markers for cats, dogs, and and other beloved pets were gathered in one spot to honour their memory.  I could envision ‘Caesar -the truly Golden Retriever’ running to the water’s edge to sneak up on a wave, or chase a seagull.  ‘Friskers’ was likely content to spend her day catching mice and lazing on a comfy porch chair – sounds like a perfect work-life balance!

And here I am, feeling rejuvenated and ‘embracing simplicity’ - all from a simple rest stop. Yes, that was a contented sigh you just heard.

Turn right, next exit…and enjoy…

rest

No comments: