To be admitted to Nature's hearth costs nothing. None is excluded, but excludes himself.
You have only to push aside the curtain - Henry David Thoreau
........

The only limits we have are those we give ourselves.

........

Friday, June 5, 2009

Looking ahead

Do you ever notice how easy it is to get caught up dwelling on the past?   Sometimes the past is a positive reference point for the path forward, but it can also be an event, an individual, an experience that affects us in a negative way – something as simple as sharing the road with a driver that lacks common courtesy, a grudge that has gone on too long, or even the experience of being left on hold for a half-hour in queue only to be disconnected. 

DSC01027

I came across this bench this morning during a short run.  I’ve noticed it before and thought it was a odd place for a bench.  It’s situated in the back of a small clearing and the bench is facing a wooded area – no water feature, no flowers, no special rock formations – just trees.

This is the view looking back.  It’s hard to tell from the photo, but in behind is a 4-lane road with a fair amount of traffic.  I’m sure the vast majority of the drivers going by have never noticed the bench.

DSC01028

There was a weather-beaten plaque on the backrest noting the bench was in memory of someone named John who lived from 1912-1981 – a far too-early passing, and the realization that a family had faced the difficult task of facing ‘tomorrow’.

When I sat down on the bench, I realized the placement of the bench was actually quite perfect.  Despite the busy world going on behind, it all melted into the background by the peaceful, serene view in front of me.  Nothing to clog the senses.  It was just me, the trees…and a bench.  I envisioned it as a perfect place to sit and mediate, read a book, or just put my feet up. 

I wondered if John’s family might come here from time-to-time, to ‘remember’, but also to help them move forward.

Hope John doesn’t mind, and I’m sure he wouldn’t…but I think I’ll plan the day from here.  First thing on the agenda: put my feet up and appreciate life.

DSC01031 

I think one day, I might like a bench too – but with a bit more lumbar support. :)

No comments: