To be admitted to Nature's hearth costs nothing. None is excluded, but excludes himself.
You have only to push aside the curtain - Henry David Thoreau
........

The only limits we have are those we give ourselves.

........

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Familiar inspiration

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear.  ~A. Redmoon

So, where do we find inspiration?  What, or who, pushes us to take the next step?  How courageous can you be?

I get a great thrill from seeing others experience something new, especially things that take courage – a step forward with trepidation. 

When my mother boarded a seaplane with me (despite her fear of flying) to see the most beautiful parts of the Alaskan coastline, it was her slightly nervous smile and yet obvious excitement as she grabbed the camera out of my hand to take aerial photos of the rugged landscape below, that made me realize that some experiences are more important than fear…and I found it inspiring.

At the age of 70, my dad embarked on a day of kayaking with Mark in the cold glacial waters of the Pacific Ocean to get up close and personal with sea life and beautiful glaciers.  It was the recounting of his experience that made me realize that the courage to try something new often results in memories that last a lifetime…and I find it inspiring.

So, it was with great anticipation that I opened an email this past week from my mother-in-law (my second mom, Marion).  She had recently returned from a cruise in the Caribbean, including the Panama Canal and we had heard the excitement in her voice a couple of days earlier as she recounted some of her ‘new’ experiences. 

But, it was the photo attachments in her email that really made us smile.  It truly gives more meaning to the phrase ‘a picture is worth a thousand words’ and suggests that we are never too young or too old to try something new.

What do you think?  86 years old and swimming with dolphins – pretty darn cool…

 

When someone says, I’m too old to start a new chapter, to take on a new challenge, or to try something new, I think both my parents and Mark’s mom would be very quick to say…”why not try?”  Yes…we…can!  The result may be more rewarding than any feeling of fear one might have had.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

YES I DID but little did I realize that so many would help me share the excitement and happiness I experienced. I know Mary and Jerry did because they did the same thing with me. It was a co-incidence because Cynthia sent the pics to her sister in Jamaica and that is where the dolphins were trained and had only been in Georgetown, Grand Cayman three weeks. Thank you, so very much, Tammy, I am thrilled to be on your blog. Love, Marion, your 2nd Mom.

Anonymous said...

It has to be said that the Rutledges and all extended family...are full of inspiration! There isn't any family as special as ours. Everyone has incredible talent, and the courage to attempt new and exciting challenges. There is never a dull moment! Grandma was truly an inspiration to have the dolphin experience. You and Mark with your successful climb of Kilimanjaro and the safari that followed...And Tammy...your writing/blogging. I don't think there is a person that wouldn't be moved by what you can get onto paper (or in this case, a computer screen!)

Love you all,

Catherine

Anonymous said...

I am not a family member of Mrs. Rutledge's, but a good friend of Mark and Tammy's...and let me say.......WOW! Seeing that photo of Mark's mom swimming with the dolphins was truly inspiring! I honestly think it has changed something in me! So thanks, Mark and Tammy, for sharing that with us.

Maureen

Anonymous said...

Hi Tammy and Mark,
Its great to see the comments on the blog. What a delight to see Marks mom Marion swimming with the dolphins. You are truly amazing. As Tammy you mentioned our trip to Alaska. It was truly enjoyable. there was so much to see and enjoy, whether fearful of not. But one of the best things was to be with you and Mark and to share it with two we love very much. :You both are so special, so thanks for all you do for us and others. Mom and Dad

Anonymous said...

It truly is an inspiration to all of us to have the courage to attempt new and exciting challenges. Way to go, Mom and you and Mark as well. You are also a big inspiration to all of us with your mountain climbing and ironman experiences. Tammy, your mom and dad also give us inspiration to do the things which we fear. Thankyou for all the inspiration all the Rutledges have given to us.
Love Janice and Phil