To be admitted to Nature's hearth costs nothing. None is excluded, but excludes himself.
You have only to push aside the curtain - Henry David Thoreau
........

The only limits we have are those we give ourselves.

........

Thursday, January 29, 2009

It makes a better door than a windrow!

As I hauled the recycling bins and garbage to the street this morning, I was faced with a thigh-high mountain of snow at the end of the walkway that I had to traverse to get to the curb.  We were hit with a snowstorm yesterday that brought with it several inches of the white stuff. 

The sight of me in my pajamas, running shoes, no socks, and down-filled jacket; readying myself for a scissor-kick reminiscent of my not-so-athletic high-jumping days in school; with a recycling bin under each arm, would have been a shot worth capturing.  Mark has since questioned why I didn’t wait just a few more minutes as he revved up the snow-blower, but that wouldn’t have been nearly as much fun now, would it?!

I love a good snowfall.  It’s almost like nature’s way of sweeping dirt under the mat.  Everything seems so crisp and clean (although, you know what’s lurking underneath!). 

And I particularly like a snowfall when I don’t have to travel anywhere…but that is likely the best time to leave your home.  Why you might ask?  Because, at least you can get out of your driveway.  If you wait until the snowplow finally make it to these ‘secondary’ streets (‘secondary’ is quite optimistic!), the windrow left at the end of the driveway is so high that even a ‘get out of jail free’ card is not going to help your cause.

And for all of you who live on sweeping bends on residential streets, I feel for you this morning.  The snowplow driver has delivered an extra special treat.  Your door to the outside world has been closed by the biggest windrow of all! 

(Note:  A windrow is often used to describe a pile of any material that is heaped up by wind.  According to dictionary.com, the term can also apply to a long row of cut hay or grain left to dry in a field before bundling.  And, Wikipedia explains that a windrow is  “…created by snow plows as they plow streets. The windrow may block driveways.”   Yes, they do!! )

Happy shoveling…stay safe and warm!

No comments: